The Pomme d’Or Hotel at the Weighbridge, St Helier, Jersey was the Headquarters of the Hafenkommandant (Senior German Naval Officer). This is where the Bailiff Alexander Coutanche met Generalmajor Wulf the Island Commander at 12 o’clock on 9th May 1945 and escorted him to an awaiting German pinnace at the harbour and out to HMS Beagle anchored in St Aubin’s Bay to meet with Brigadier Snow and the other British representatives.
Photographed on 9th April 1941 and described as Lager Beaucamps, this is the camp used by the Guernsey Militia for many years as a training area. The site is now home to the playing fields of Beaucamps School, though seen here on the northern side of the facility would have been used by the Germans as a similar facility but under 'new management’. This Photograph is from a small collection of six taken by an unknown German soldier posted to Guernsey in 1941 with 319 Infantry Division.
This photograph was taken on 18th June 1941. Looking north from alongside the slip way opposite Town Church, this view of the town front St Peter Port shows the absence of motor vehicles. With most locals restricted to horse drawn transport or bicycles, the only vehicle evident is marked with a WH indicating its use by the German Wehrmacht (Armed Forces). This Photograph is from a small collection of six taken by an unknown German soldier posted to Guernsey in 1941 with 319 Infantry Division.
This view of the St Peter Port Town church and Prince Albert statue was photographed on 18th June 1941. Not yet evident are the German road signs painted on the wall of the church and the extensive barbed wire entanglements that were placed around the harbour. This Photograph is from a small collection of six taken by an unknown German soldier posted to Guernsey in 1941 with 319 Infantry Division.